Breakfast, Breakfasts, Non-Dairy, Non-Gluten, Paleo
Prep 10 mins ∙ Cook 20 mins ∙ Makes Yield: 12 muffins ∙ Source My Collection
1. Heat the oven to 375°F. Place (optional) paper muffin liners in 12 muffin tins. Brush oil in the cups.
2. In a large nonstick skillet, cook the bacon. Place the bacon on a paper towel-lined plate. After it cools, chop it into small pieces.
3. Strain all but 1 Tablespoon of bacon grease into a small glass bowl to reserve. Heat the grease over medium heat and sauté the onions until soft and translucent. Add the mushrooms and cook until soft and plump.
4. Add the garlic and stir until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add the chopped bacon and season the filling with salt and pepper to taste. Spoon it onto a plate to cool.
5. For the batter, whisk the eggs and egg yolks in a large bowl about 60 strokes, until smooth. Whisk in coconut milk, coconut flour, salt, and pepper until well-mixed. Stir in the bacon mixture and stir to combine.
6. Spoon the frittata batter into the muffin cups, filling each cup until nearly full. Top each muffin with 3 quartered cherry tomatoes.
7. Bake the muffins in the oven for about 20 minutes, rotating the tray at the halfway point.
8. Cool the muffins in the pan for a couple minutes before transferring them to a wire rack to cool.
Stephenie: These are great to warm in the toaster oven for breakfast all week. They freeze and reheat well.
You can also add mushrooms such as Miatake that look like flowers and are really easy to slice. I recommend cutting the spinach in a chiffonade by stacking the leaves together, rolling them, and then slicing very thin. Then chop a few times to shorten long strands.