Gluten-Free, Non-Dairy, Non-Gluten, Paleo, Potatoes, Side Dishes, Sides
Prep 2 hr 18 min ∙ Cook 7 min ∙ Makes 4-6 ∙ Source Food.com
1. Mix the brine in a 3 quart pot with an accompanying lid.
2. Peel 4 medium russet potatoes. Cut potatoes into 1/4-inch shoestrings (try to make them as uniform as possible).
3. Place cut potatoes into the brine container. Seal and refrigerate for at least 2 hours. Bring pot with brine and potatoes to a full boil. Boil for 1 1/2-2 minutes. Drain and rinse potatoes under cold water. Blot potatoes as dry as possible.
4. Place potatoes side-by-side into freezer bags without touching, and without crowding. Seal bags and freeze flat in refrigerator for at least 2 hours to make sure fries are frozen solid.
5. Add beef tallow to the minimum level of the deep fryer or fill a saucepan at least 3 inches deep. Heat oil to 375°F.
6. Place 1/2 of the potatoes at a time into elevated deep-frying basket. Gently lower basket into hot fat.
7. Fry for about 2 minutes but PAY ATTENTION TO THE COLOR -- potato color should be light golden brown with just slightly darker ends. Elevate fry basket and shake to drain excess fat. Secure basket and let drain for 30 seconds.
8. Transfer fries into colander placed in sink. Repeat with remaining potatoes.
9. Season french fries lightly with salt while tossing. Eat immediately, or keep warmed for a limited time in a 170°F oven.
Stephenie: Edited from the original version to be sugar-free to work for paleo. The original had 2 1/4 teaspoons of sugar to the brine. I really don't recommend that you make this recipe without a thermometer. Also, these are a LOT of work and are good but not amazing. They are better for you than McDonald's, for sure, because you can control the ingredients.