Breakfast, Gluten-Free, Non-Dairy, Non-Gluten, Paleo
Prep 10 mins ∙ Cook 20 mins ∙ Makes Yield: 12 muffins ∙ Source My Collection
1. Heat the oven to 375°F. Place (optional) paper muffin liners in 12 muffin tins. Brush fat in the cups.
2. In a large nonstick skillet, cook and chop the sausage. Place the sausage on a paper towel-lined plate.
3. Add 1 tablespoon fat to the skillet and cook over medium heat until the onions are soft and translucent. Add the mushrooms and cook until soft and plump.
4. Add the garlic and stir until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add the sausage and season the filling with salt and pepper to taste. Spoon it onto a plate to cool.
5. For the batter, whisk the eggs and egg yolks in a large bowl about 60 strokes, until smooth. Whisk in coconut milk, coconut flour, salt, and pepper until well-mixed. Stir in the sausage mixture and stir to combine.
6. Spoon the frittata batter into the muffin cups, filling each cup until nearly full.
7. Bake the muffins in the oven for about 20 minutes, rotating the tray at the halfway point.
8. Cool the muffins in the pan for a couple minutes before transferring them to a wire rack to cool.
Stephenie: This variety of frittata muffins weren't very good. They're better with bacon!
You can buy well-sourced breakfast sausage or make your own: http://stphne.com/cookbooks/paleo/Homemade%20Breakfast%20Sausage.html
Use mushrooms such as Miatake that look like flowers and are really easy to slice.